For those of you who are keeping us in your prayers, this page has several specific things you can pray for us about. We update it regularly, so any time you want to know what you can pray for us about, you can always check here! And for prayer about the nation of Madagascar, we have a “Madagascar News” page that you can always check for up-to-date news, so you’ll know how to pray for the nation.
1) Praise God that the bubonic plague appears to have died out in Madagascar this year! There have been no new cases for a long time and government officials have declared that it is now passed. There’s always a risk it will return later this year around October, so please pray that the Malagasy government and people would be prepared to respond quickly if the plague returns in the future.
2) Please pray for Madagascar during this cyclone season. Early on this year, a strong cyclone has hit Madagascar’s east cost, killing over 50 and destroying many homes. Even though it was far from us, we felt the impact of the cyclone even on Nosy Mitsio, with over a week of heavy winds and rains. Typically the cyclone season lasts through March or April, so please pray that no more heavy cyclones hit Madagascar and also that we would stay safe on Nosy Mitsio and while traveling in our boat.
3) Please pray for Narindra, a Malagasy lady and YWAM co-worker who is hoping to join our team long-term. She will be visiting with us for about a month, starting in mid-February, so we can see how she will be received by the local people (she’s from an area of Madagascar that the Antakarana people usually have animosity towards), and so we can see how she does adapting to the challenging aspects of the rural lifestyle. Please pray that the people of Nosy Mitsio would receive Narindra well, that Narindra would stay in good health, and that Narindra would find enough financial support to set out in full-time ministry to the unreached Antakarana people.
4) Please pray for Nuckiline, a Christian Antakarana friend of our from Ambilobe, as she wants to pursue further ministry with us on Nosy Mitsio. She recently visited with us on Nosy Mitsio for a month, and although she experienced challenges in her ministry efforts, she’s determined to continue with us more in the future. Praise God for the vision he’s given Nuckiline to reach others in her tribal group, and for the determination he’s given her to not give up despite the challenges! Pray for Nuckiline as she seeks other Christian friends of hers to join her in witness on Nosy Mitsio, and pray that the Holy Spirit would inspire Nuckiline with effective ways to share the Gospel of Jesus.
5) Pray for the people of Nosy Mitsio during this year’s rice planting and harvesting season (through April). The cyclone that passed through Madagascar last year caused most people on Nosy Mitsio to have a very poor rice harvest, and the costs of rice have nearly doubled in northern Madagascar. Our friend Nuckiline was recently able to sell rice on Nosy Mitsio at a lower cost, which helped the people a lot during this time when they’re busy planting rice for the new season. Please pray that this season would have the right amount of rainfall and good weather to produce an abundant rice harvest for the people of Nosy Mitsio. Pray also that a full harvest would cause them to turn their eyes to God and learn of his great love for them.
6) Please continue to pray for our team as we seek God and pursue the best way to reach the people of Nosy Mitsio. Due to various health challenges and other circumstances on our team, we haven’t had nearly as many opportunities as we’d have liked to meet regularly for prayer and ministry discussions. If Narindra is able to join our team long-term, it will also be the first time for us to have full-time Malagasy teammates, so there will be occasional challenges with language and cultural differences. Pray that God would give us fruitful times to meet together, that the Holy Spirit would give us insight on the best efforts to make, and that God would smooth out the transition to including Malagasy members full-time on our team. Pray especially that the results of all our efforts are a church planting movement spreading from Nosy Mitsio and beyond to result in great growth of God’s Kingdom in northern Madagascar!
Donate to the Mission
If you would like to be a part of the work the Willards are doing in Madagascar,
you can give a tax-deductible gift today.